Country Chicken Curry Village Style | Desi Chicken Gravy | Desi Chicken Village Style | Desi Chicken Curry | Country Chicken Curry Recipe | Natu Kodi Curry | Village Style Desi Chicken Masala | Chicken Gravy Village Style
Ingredients for Country Chicken Curry:
Country Chicken (Desi Chicken), skin-on, curry cut pieces- 1 kg
- Salt- 1.5 tsp
- Turmeric Powder- 1 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder- 4 tsp
- Ginger Garlic paste- 4 tsp
- Lemon Juice- 2 tsp
- Groundnut Oil- 2 tbsp
For the Masala Paste:
- Coriander Seeds- 3 tsp
- Cumin Seeds- 2 tsp
- Sesame seeds- 4 tsp
- Mace (Javitri)- 1
- Kashmiri Chillies- 8
- Fresh coconut, grated- 4 tbsp
Crushed Spices for tempering:
- Green Cardamom – 4
- Cloves – 4
- Cinnamon – 2
- Black Peppercorns- 10
- Bay leaves, cut- 2
- Onions, roughly chopped- 200 gms (2 large onions)
- Groundnut Oil- 4 tbsp
- Salt for seasoning- 1/2 tsp
- Marinate the chicken with items indicated. Mix well and set aside for 1 hr.
- Dry roast all the items for the Masala paste other than the fresh grated coconut on low heat for 2-3 mins. Remove onto a plate and allow to cool.
- To make the paste, add the roasted spices along with the fresh grated coconut in a grinder/blender jar and coarse grind it. Now add around 1/2 cup water and blend into a paste.
- Crush the whole spices roughly using a mortar & pestle.
- Roughly chop 2 big onions.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add the crushed spices, give a stir. Now add the bay leaves and give a stir.
- Now add the roughly chopped onions and fry on medium heat for 7-8 mins till light brown.
- Add the marinated chicken, give a mix and fry on high heat for 3 mins. Continue to fry/bhunno on medium heat for another 2 mins.
- Now add the Masala paste, give a mix and fry on medium heat for 5 mins till it’s fried and oil separates.
- Now add 400 ml water, give a mix, season with 1/2 tsp salt and pressure cook for around 6 whistles.
- (On high heat till the 1st whistle-around 6 mins, and then on low heat for another 5 whistles. Should take around 20-22 mins
- In case you do not have a pressure cooker you could try to cook in a pan/kadai but will take a long time since the desi/country chicken is very tough and takes long time to cook.)
- Once the pressure is released, open the lid and check whether the chicken is tender.
- If not, pressure cook for 1-2 more whistles after adding little water if necessary.